Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I am totally tired, but wanted to write an update.. Things have been really crazy this past couple of weeks. First, we had to admit my dad into the nursing home. The doctors at the hospital said that there really wasn’t anything else they could do for him, but keep him comfortable. At this point, dad isn’t able to take care of himself in anyway. Not able to sit up on his own without tipping over. Eating is a challenge as he chokes with each bite. His back side has several bed sores (he doesn’t have the strength to pull himself to his side to get off them).His mind isn’t what it used to be. I never know what he is going to say when I talk to him. Tonight he needed to hurry off the phone because he needed to get outside to help pull calves. There are times he knows where he is and times he doesn’t. It is sad to see and hear. But it does make you laugh with some of the things he says. Just kinda have to go with whatever he is talking about. Then there are times that he is aware of what is happening. You just never know what you are going to get when you talk to him.
After getting things settled in at the nursing home, we went to the funeral home to follow through with dads wishes. Doing this now is so much easier than when the time comes and emotions are running high. I know this, as I have planned mine already, as well. As many of you may remember, 4 years ago, the doctors were only giving me 3-5 years to live. Trying to make things easier for my family when the time comes was and still is important to me. Not that I plan on kicking the bucket anytime soon. As you read you will see all the new news. But regarding my dad, everything with his funeral has been done per his wishes, right down to the music and such. Gonna be something simple, but just what he wants. Not any single person knows when our last breath will be, but if we are prepared for things here on earth it is just one less added stress to the families/friends. So with him, more than anything my prayer would be for his salvation. We all have the right to choose our destination dad, but time is running out!
For some good news now, I have been working extremely hard in therapy, almost to the point of exhaustion some days. Standing and balancing have been top priority. Tuesday last week I stood for 31 minutes. Today, a week later I took, get this, TWO and I repeat TWO steps. It was max assist, however, I did it!!! Praising God just doesn’t seem to be enough right now. The Lord is running out of bottles for all the tears that have been shed over the last couple of weeks. Tears, of pain, joy, fear, hurt, being scared, seeing someone else you love being in so much pain and discomfort (yet trying to stay strong to their face). I’m glad the drive to the nursing home took a while. And Paula, I’m sorry for the pillow case slobber I forgot to tell you, but don’t worry it was Toms
Anyways, in therapy, we need to make a couple of adjustment to my brace. Today, my foot was turning sideways in the brace when full weight was put on it. And the locking mechanism slipped when we took a step. This causes alarm, so we are going to have it looked at before doing too much more. Working on core muscles and strength will be the focus for the rest of the week.
All the treatments (medications, acupuncture, herbs, vitamins and such) thus far have been able to happen because of the kindness and generosity of so many of you, from the fundraiser last year. And I can’t tell you thank you enough. Now the time has come that those funds have come to an end. I only have enough to cover the rest of October. After that, I’m won’t have the financial ability to continue anything but physical therapy since that is the only thing insurance covers, beside the medications from the pharmacy by prescription. And with that, the copays are still almost $275 a month. I have applied for Medicaid to see if I can get help with that, but the letter I got really shocked me. It stated, “you’re income is 135% below poverty level and with income guidelines you do not qualify for assistance.” It is not like I was asking for the moon or to have a free ride. I just needed a little assistance during a hard time. I am appealing their decision as well as writing letters to each of the manufactures of my medications to see if they have programs for ‘financial hardships.” They are out there; you just have to climb through the hoops to get them.
My plan now is to try to find a part time job, close enough so I can use the bus during bad weather, as well as work with my therapy schedules. I’m not sure how all this will work. But if there is a will there is a way. I have the will, and Jesus is the way… please stand with me in prayer that things begin to look up with all of this.
My service dog: well, it may be March before getting it now. They are going to work with it to help with standing stability now. Meghan didn’t think that they could have it trained for that by November. I would rather wait a little longer and get what is needed than to get it now and try to train it later. They were going to talk about it and see where things stand. The cost of the dog is already paid for out of the funds, and I am working on the expenses of travel and lodging for two weeks.
I will be setting up an esty account soon to start selling some of the things that I have made to cover some of these expenses. I’m not out to get rich, just to regain more health and independence. So watch for more information on some really cool things that I have been sewing, painting, beading.
I am still working on my book, my goal was to have it done by Christmas, but there is NO WAY this will happen. Not even close. So maybe by next Christmas.  I haven’t worked too much on it over the last few months because of pure exhaustion. And that is no time to try to write anything. After reading the book written by my dear friend Bill McDowell, who recently passed away, it really has encouraged me keep going on it. Bill was an incredible friend who is greatly missed. Passing by his seat in church each Sunday morning just saddens my heart. Although I know that our loss here on earth is a HUGE gain in Heaven. And in that very week, heaven gained three angels that were dear friends to me.
My little friend Margaret Romph that we have been praying for is and has been in the hospital for a little while. Her stay could possibly be up to 3 months.(Fighting a pressure sore that just wouldn’t heal). Please keep her in your prayers for this to heal as well as the rest of the family during this time where they are once again split up. www.caringbridge.org/visit/margaretromph
Thanks for listening to me ramble tonight, I really am working on something else to share. I know its been some time since sharing excerpts

No comments: